My daughter and I made an apple pie about a week ago. She did a marvelous job of assisting me, including placing the dough on top of the pie. As you can see from the picture, she even made a heart:
I found the recipe for the vegan pie crust at Vegfamily.com. I, of course, modified it a bit. :o)
For the crust portion of the recipe you will need:
- 3 cups unbleached flour (I often mix in about 1/3 wheat flour)
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- water, as needed
- Pour your flour into a pan.
- Add the salt.
- Spoon in the solid coconut oil. (Put it in the fridge for a bit to get it solid if it is not.)
- Use your hands to work the coconut oil into the flour. You will have a damp crumbly flour with little to no lumps once it is sufficiently mixed.
- Using a spoon, stir mixture while you slowly add flour as needed to form a stiff but pliable dough.
- Separate dough into 2 portions. One for top and one for bottom.
- Stretch dough into pie tin. If you are not using a non stick pan, grease with a bit of coconut oil.
- Roll out the remaining dough flat and cut it into strips for the top. Set aside.
- Four apples, chopped and peeled
- About 3/4 cup of water
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of ginger, optional
- About cup of agave nectar or date sugar
- 1 tablespoon agar agar or arrowroot
In a saucepan on medium heat, mix the water, spices, and sweetener.
Add the apples. Cook them in the mixture for a few minutes if desired.
Then, spoon into pie crust. Here is a pic of ours at this point:
Add the top crust portion.
Bake at about 325 until crust is a golden color.
Until next time... God bless! :o)
|Read more about me here.|