Take your vegan cooking to a level you never knew possible with a Vitamix of your very own! Free shipping through my links!

Yummy vegetable soup with adzuki beans recipe!

If you know me, you know I love vegetable soup. Always have. I have been experimenting for a while for the perfect vegetable soup recipe, and I have finally found it. I am even more pleased because this recipe is vegan. Yay! It has such a good flavor, is so satisfying, and the small amount of barley lends it just the right amount of chewiness.... I made this soup the week after returning from our vacation to Disney World. I had eaten out a lot that week and was looking to detox, and that is what I had in mind when I created this recipe. Adzuki beans and brocolli are known for their detoxification properties. Sweet potatoes are good for blood sugar, etc. On to the recipe.... :)
You will need:
  • @ 5 ounces of dried adzuki beans, soaked (Whole Foods sells them)(tips on preparing beans)
  • 1 large, or 2 small to medium sweet potatoes, chopped
  • 1/4-1/2 cup barley (I used instant)
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cups of broccoli florets or a mixture of broccoli and cauliflower
  • 1 cup of frozen organic corn (available at Trader Joe's)
  • 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
  • 1 stalk of celery, chopped
  • 1 medium sized can of tomato sauce
  • 1 heaping teaspoon crushed garlic
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
  • salt to taste

Being the crockpot cooker that I am, I put all of these ingredients into my crockpot and filled it with water about 3/4 of the way full. I cooked overnight on high (@ 8 hours), then switched it to warm in the morning. At that point I also added the tomato sauce, since you do not want to cook beans with tomotoes or tomato sauce- they would remain crunchy.

Enjoy! :)

No comments: