The Adzuki bean. The humble little pink wonder bean from the far east. Sometimes called the weight loss bean. My husband and I first heard about this bean on a health show on T.V. The lady had an accent and called them aduki beans- with no k. So, I had my husband ask for aduki beans at Whole Foods. They took us to them, no problem and I have since found out that they are commonly mispronounced. Just a warning there! :o) Actually, you will sometimes find them spelled azuki or aduki.
So on to the health benefits...
- Low in calories and sodium
- High in magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, and b vitamins
- Contain protease inhibitors, which discourage the growth of cancerous cells
- Rich in soluble fiber, which binds to toxins and cholesterol to eliminate them from the body
- In Japan, adzuki beans are used to support kidney and bladder function
Anxious to try them? Cook up a pot of yummy adzuki vegetable soup today! :o)
"Adzuki Bean: Health Benefits and Nutrition Information " Knowingfood.com." Welcome to Knowingfood Dot Com " Knowingfood.com. Web. 26 Feb. 2010.
"Adzuki Beans (Aduki) - Diet Food Nutrition & Calories." Weight Loss Diet Program, FREE Diet Advice! Weight Loss Diets, Low Carb Plan. Web. 26 Feb. 2010.