Take your vegan cooking to a level you never knew possible with a Vitamix of your very own! Free shipping through my links!

Penny-wise Wednesday: Save money by using what's in your kitchen pantry


http://www.flickr.com/photos/playingwithpsp/287787242/
Oh, how many times we go to the grocery store when our kitchen is actually full of enough goodies to make several meals. I know I'm not the only one who ever does this! :)

I get used to eating certain things, or want some ingredients to try something new and opportunities that are there kind of fall by the wayside.

New eyes
Saving money can be as simple as looking at what you have in your kitchen with new eyes. Do something not related to cooking or shopping- then once you are refreshed and have a more open mind- get a pen and paper and go through what you have on hand.

Be creative. Write down what you can make with what you have. Be open to trying new things. Some of the most flavorful dishes are a combination of things you wouldn't expect to find together, so be adventurous! :)


Watch for what is going bad
Just today I washed, cut up, and froze some fresh okra that we had bought from Whole Foods over the weekend. I knew that if I didn't, it would probably have gone bad by the time I got around to using it. Try to preserve your food from going bad as often as you can, and you will have more food to work with! :)

Also, simply storing food in ways that keep them fresh longer will keep your menu ideas broader as well. Chicobags make and sell bags that are reusable and cater to different produce needs. Green bags are an option as well, though I would try to be sure they are bpa free.


When all else fails, make soup
I adore soup. If it's cold outside or hot, it doesn't matter to me. Soup is always good! :) And the nice thing about soup is that you don't have to stick to a strict recipe for it to come out tasty. Use your imagination! Put a bunch of veggies together and make a nice plain veggie soup, or decide on a theme(like Italian, etc) and let the kitchen magic begin!

Do you have any ideas for making the food in your pantry go further? Please share in the comment section below! :)






Until next time.... God bless!










1 comment:

Hi Tay said...

I would have to say rice lasts a lifetime. If you don't finish it you can fry it and have it again! This is what I do often when we don't finish rice! Great ideas by the way!