Take your vegan cooking to a level you never knew possible with a Vitamix of your very own! Free shipping through my links!

Homemade Soba Noodle Recipe !

It was fun to make these homemade soba (buckwheat) noodles. I was hungry when I started making them, and really hungry when I finished. They are very healthy and very filling, though. I had made some before, but they turned out much better this time. Tess's Japanese Kitchen gave me the idea to add vital wheat gluten to the recipe. I really think that helped to hold it together better. For this recipe you will need:
  • 2 cups of buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup unbleached wheat flour
  • @ 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1 cup water
First, mix the flours and wheat gluten together.
Then slowly pour in the water a bit at a time.
Then knead, knead, knead. Very important. This helps the dough to blossom.
Once it is mixed together very well, form into a big ball and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
After the resting period the dough will be much different, less sticky and firmer.
Slice your dough ball into 4 pieces, like so:

You will use one of these balls for about 2 servings of soba noodles. Since I was going to be the only one eating them today, I made one and froze the other three to make later.

Now, sprinkle buckwheat onto cutting board:


Roll out the dough until it is about 1/8 of an inch thick. Turn dough over a few times when you are rolling it out to make sure it doesn't stick to the board.

Then, start cutting small sized noodles:

And keep cutting until you are done:

Pick them up and put them into a pot of boiling water for about 20 minutes:

Mix with tasty sauce, refrigerate for at least an hour (longer for flavor to really sink in). And, of course, Enjoy!


Until next time.... God bless!

No comments: